market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] gas tank cleaning & repair

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Bob Crowder (E-mail)" <bob AT internetyoga.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] gas tank cleaning & repair
  • Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 18:44:17 -0600

When you apply a torch to a tank with water in it all the heat is sucked
into the water and it is impossible to weld, period, with a gas torch. Same
reason you cannot sweat a copper water pipe with water in it. You simply
cannot get enough heat. A gas tank is way to thin to use an arc welder on.
An arc welder might generate enough heat but by the time it did most of the
water would be boiling out and burning the sh- - out of you. I am not
saying this from an onlooker perspective so I would be curious, in a non
offensive way, what you were looking at being welded? Size and thickness?
Type of metal? How close to a gas tank specification was it?
Bob

I hope to be agreeable in my argumentativeness, but I've seen it done this
way.

Errol Castens
Oxford, Mississippi

<bob AT akasha.net> wrote:

> If you fill the tank with water you will not be able to braze or gas weld
it.
<snip>