market-farming - [Market-farming] Re:Lavender and Goldenseal

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: OakCamp2 AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re:Lavender and Goldenseal
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 14:12:57 EST

In a message dated 2/25/2003 11:57:33 AM Central Standard Time, marienne AT marienne.com writes:

How do you have it planted - beds, rows, etc.?

I raise most of it for potted plant sales, but I have some in display beds, using fabric mulch to control weeds.  It can't be harvested the first year and is very slow growing during that time.  It's best to get it into the ground as early as you can so it can have as much growing time as possible the first year.

Are you growing them as perennials?

Yes, I live in zone 4/5  and I have both munstead and hidcote that have survived our winters.

If so, how musch plant do you leave when you cut?

When in full flower, cut the flower stalk just below the first pair of leaves.  In the fall, we leave about 2/3 of the plant to over winter, any less and we have found that the plant doesn't survive.

Are you growing for fragrance/oil or cut flowers?

Sorry, only for display, and the flower stalks for personal use.  The market for oil and fragrance is pretty tight with the French dominating the market.

I've been advised to allow 2' between plants.  Do you agree?

Depends on what zone you are in.  Our lavender plants are fine with 18" spacing after 3 years.  I don't think our summers are hot enough to produce bigger plants.  In more moderate climates I would space them 2' apart in rows that are 30" apart.
The harvest life is about 10 years.

How do you harvest?

By hand because we want the flower stalks intact.  For oils and fragrance I would think a hay cutter would be fine.
http://www.lavender.au.com/   is a sight for new growers with e-mail discussion.

http://www.stockdog.com/a1/lavring.htm is a lavender grower's web ring
http://www.lavenderfarms.com/  is a lavender grower in Washington State
http://www.museedelalavande.com/  is a French grower. He has great pictures of his harvesting equipment and some graphics for his distillation process- don't need to understand French for that!
HTH,
Barb Birkinbine
Oak Camp Herb Farm
Lodi. WI

  • [Market-farming] Re:Lavender and Goldenseal, OakCamp2, 02/25/2003