market-farming - [Market-farming] What to start seeds in and into

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Carol Larsen" <sunborn AT mhtc.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] What to start seeds in and into
  • Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 11:56:50 -0600

  Ok
I'll jump in here. I sure would like some advice on what to use for starting seeds. This year  I am tripling the number of seeds I am growing. Usually I used flats made of various materials (some my husband made for me upteen years ago) and then transplanted into 72's or 48s in a rg 1040 black flat. I used Jiffy mix plus.. which I may say worked very very well for all the nutrient needs of those little seedlings until I held them too long in the cold frames.
Anyway, I want to use only organic seed mix now. What have you all found 1. Good for starting the seeds  2. for giving them the nutrients they need while growing in the mix.
Also, some of the growers here use Speedling flats - sow direct and transplant from there. What do others use?
Thanks for your advice!
Carol Larsen
Sunborn Gardens

  • [Market-farming] What to start seeds in and into, Carol Larsen, 02/24/2003