market-farming - [Market-farming] seed workshop agenda, registration, childcare

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Ira Wallace" <ira AT southernexposure.com>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] seed workshop agenda, registration, childcare
  • Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 19:15:35 -0500

Dear Friends,

Here is the agenda for the March 22 Seed Saving Workshop, prepared by Dr
Jeff McCormack.

We're limited to about 20 participants. Please register soon, so we can
plan.
SEE REGISTRATION FORM AT BOTTOM OF THIS MESSAGE.

If you have questions, please contact me (Ira Wallace). If you have topic
suggestions or questions, I'll forward them to Jeff. He will try address
people's interests during the workshop.

Melissa Wender has offered childcare. She says, "I would like to organize
childcare and if anyone is interested they can contact me - melissa AT ic.org ,
434-361-1618. I'll see if we can come up with enough money to pay someone.
I'm thinking an extra $10 or so from 4-5 participants should cover."
------------

PRINCIPLES AND PRACTICES OF SMALL-SCALE SEED PRODUCTION IN
THE MID-ATLANTIC REGION

AGENDA for a workshop by Jeff McCormack
presented at Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, Mineral, VA
March 22, 2003, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
(For registration and additional information contact
ira AT southernexposure.com)

Isolation Distances for Seed Crops: Principles and Practices
An introduction to the pollination ecology of seed crops with a focus on the
practical aspects of maintaining crop purity. This topic is designed to
answer a number of questions such as: (1) What are the standard isolation
distances for major seed crops? (2) How are isolation distances determined?
(3) How can isolation distances be modified or adapted to specific
microclimates and grower conditions? (4) Self-pollinated crops: myth or
reality? (5) What types of plant varieties require special attention with
regard to isolation distance?

Integrated Pest Management for Seed Crops *
An introduction to the principles and practices of Integrated Pest
Management with a focus on organic seed crop production.

Soil Preparation and Improvement for Organic Growers *
Some basics of soil preparation and improvement, with particular attention
to macro- and micro-nutrients, organic amendments, and the role of pH in
nutrient availability.

Crop Improvement and Selection *
Focuses on the trade-offs between crop selection and maintenance of genetic
diversity in certain crops. What is the minimum population size needed to
maintain diversity? How do you maintain or improve a crop through selection?
What does "crop improvement" mean?

Small-Scale Seed Production of Selected Major Crops
Seed growing guides will be provided for a number of crops. These guides
will be reviewed and discussed. Where appropriate, there will be a focus on
the fine points of growing quality seed in the hot, humid Mid-Atlantic.
Post-harvest seed handling issues may also be covered.

An Introduction to Seed Cleaning Equipment *
A very brief overview of the basic equipment needed for small-scale seed
growers. The specifics of seed cleaning and germination enhancement may be
covered in a separate workshop scheduled at a later date.

Integrating Market Growing with Small-Scale Seed Production *
How do you balance the sometimes-conflicting requirements of small-scale
seed production with market gardening?

Free-Ranging Discussion of Topics of Interest
This is a time to explore questions and topics in greater detail, or to
expand on topics covered in the more structured part of the program.

* Indicates shorter length topics.

----------------

REGISTRATION INFORMATION AND FORM

Cost $45. Includes handouts, lunch, snacks. (If enough people register,
some partial scholarships may be available.)

Name ____________
Phone ___________
Address __________________
City, State, Zip ___________

Payment enclosed (Visa/MCard/Discover card number and expiration date)

I'll pay when I get there (check, Visa, MCard, Discover).

I can't make it to this workshop but please put me on your e-mail list for
future seed-saving events.

Mail to: March 2003 Seed Saving Workshop,
Acorn Community Farm, 1259 Indian Creek RD, Mineral VA 23117
Fax to 540-894-9481
E-mail to: Ira AT SouthernExposure.com.

  • [Market-farming] seed workshop agenda, registration, childcare, Ira Wallace, 02/23/2003