market-farming - [Market-farming] Poultry manure

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Ken Bezilla" <kenbez AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Poultry manure
  • Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2003 19:58:16 +0000

We use turkey manure from a local farm. It's conventional/non-organic, but it's composted for a year before we get it. I've always assumed that most of the hormones/antibiotics get cooked out by the composting process... but we've been talking about whether to have some manure tested to be sure. Anyone know of a lab to use for testing for hormones/antibiotics? And, any thoughts in general on using poultry manure?

Ken Bezilla
East Wind Community
southern MO