market-farming - [Market-farming] Muscovy Ducks and Eggs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dave Lilligren" <dave AT lilligren.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Muscovy Ducks and Eggs
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 12:03:06 -0600

For the past four years, we have raised Muscovies. They do well without
ponds and can handle extremely cold weather. They are one of the few
(only?) duck breeds that are not genetically related to a Mallard.

From a meat perspective, because they are originally from South America,
they are much leaner than other duck breeds (about one-third less fat). I
have read that over 60 percent of ducks sold and served in France today are
Muscovies. They are also popular in Southeast Asia.

But we raise them primarily for their eggs. It's not that their eggs are
any better than those from other duck breeds, but that the Muscovy ducks
themselves seem to be easier to raise. We have found a niche market of
Filipinos who loved salted duck eggs. We sell the eggs for 50 cents apiece
(which translates into $6 a dozen). We usually soak the eggs for about 30
to 40 days in salt brine. We have detailed instructions on how to do this
one of our web pages at:
http://www.lilligren.com/homestead/duckeggs.htm.

Although Muscovy ducks have a long incubation period (35 days), they are
very prolific breeders. They love to perch and they don't quack. They love
to eat wood ticks and mosquitoes. Sometimes they ain't too pretty, but they
get along with our egg layers very well (as they spend their winters in the
same coop, and they lay their eggs in the same nests as the chickens). A
couple of drawbacks - they love to "backwash" into the waterers, thereby
muddying the chickens' water, and, as previously mentioned related to ducks
in general, they are incredible poop machines.

But, they are fun watch (as they waddle). The drakes don't fly much
(because they are too fat) and the hens occasionally fly (but are usually
content to lounge around).

Take care,

Dave Lilligren
Sandstone, MN