market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Re: Row covers and hoops

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Hopkins" <rdhopkins AT americanpasturage.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Re: Row covers and hoops
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 21:22:06 -0600

I am not a market-gardener per se, but in "listening" to the discussion on
row covers using #9 wire I would make a suggestion. The 12.5 gauge
hi-tensile smooth wire electric fencing is much stronger and will hold its
shape better than #9 wire. It is galvanized and can be purchased in 1/2
mile rolls for less than $40.

I am debating on using some row covers this year on some early crops and may
experiment with the hi-tensile wire as we use it regularly on permanent and
semi-permanent fencing around the farm. The only disadvantage I can see in
using the hi-tensile is that it is very difficult to cut with common wire
pliers. Bolt cutters make an easy job of it though.

Rick H.