market-farming - [Market-farming] floating row cover question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "David Heininger" <xxchef AT wmonline.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] floating row cover question
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 10:33:03 -0700

Two of our biggest spring garden obstacles here are the wind and resulting
blown sand and dust. We regularly get numerous days-in-a-row of relentless
30-40 MPH winds at just about the time we are trying to set out our
seedlings, or trying to get them to come up. Many of the seedlings that
don't get completely sand-blasted away or "helicoptered" into a twist are
damaged. This often sets our growing season back by several weeks.

We are working on growing some better windbreaks, but for the next season or
two I was hoping floating row covers might help. Anybody with experience in
high wind areas with them? I am concerned , not so much with the covers
blowing off - I can find a way to secure them, but with the potential
accumulation of sand on the covers. I have not used row covers before, will
they keep the sand and fines off the plants or will it filter through onto
them?

I followed the recent discussion here about row covers and it seems that
very few of you use hoops at all. Might this be a situation in which hoops
could be used to advantage, or would the wind just whip them away?

Thanks,
David
Black Mesa Ranch
East-Central AZ