market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Row Cover ??

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Peter Worsley <pwors AT svn.net>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Row Cover ??
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 00:34:33 -0800

I grow everything under row cover until large plants like tomatoes, peppers, melon, squash, bush beans, etc. are starting to stretch the fabric. No hoops. Spinach, lettuce, bok choi, carrots, beets stay under row cover for their entire life. For Tomatoes & warm weather stuff, I use wire hoops and Growtherm, which is perforated light transparent plastic. Until the plants start touching the plastic. I have lots of quail, and nothing would survive its early stages without row cover. Some flea beetles get in, but cucumber beetle damage is nowhere near what it would be without the covers, especially spinach. It's a pain, especially in the wind. Just that much more bending over. But for me it's the only way.

Good Luck- Peter