market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] How to package greens for sale?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] How to package greens for sale?
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 08:58:51 -0500

I learned in a HS physics class that salt water will refresh greens due
to osmosis. There is more salt water in the leaves of a plant than in
"pure" water so when you put greens in unsalted water the water will go
from leaf to tub o' water thus making the greens a bit flaccid (but in a
few minute you would not notice this). With salt in the water the
osmosis occurs in the opposite direction so more water goes into the
plant cells and they get more turgid. This works extremely well for
things that got left out of the fridge and are going really limp. I have
saved salad mix that was out in the sun (though covered with a towel)
for several hours by washing it in salt water and than refrigerating for
several hours/overnight.

Also slugs drop off your leafy greens in salt water and die thus saving
your customers from finding surprises in their salad (never good for business)

I put in about 1/2 cup of salt for 15 gallons of water