market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] How to package greens for sale?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] How to package greens for sale?
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 16:00:34 -0500

I use the produce bags you find at the grocery store. They come in rolls
of 5000 usually. you can get them from http;//www.montepkg.com but they
are pricy.

I start by making labels that have my farm's name and contact info as
well as the contents of the package. Than i get the bags i need and take
them off the roll, put the labels on each bag and they are ready to fill.

With salad mix after harvest it gets washed in a tub of salt water and
than run through the big orange commercial salad spinner (worth every
penny I paid for it) and put it in a towel lined plastic crate, cover
the greens with the ends of the towel and put it in the fridge for 12 to
24 hours. Sometimes I have to skip the cooling but the greens hold a lot
longer if you can cool them down completely before bagging and selling.

Than I bring in the greens to the weighing area, wash my hands (I don't
like wearing plastic food service gloves so I wash my hands a lot).
grab a bag, open it, put in the greens (5oz for salad mix), squeeze out
most the air (leave a bit in so the greens don't look smashed) and tie
the end of the bag in a knot and I'm done
--
Lucy Goodman
New Paris, OH