market-farming - [Market-farming] Personal vs work balance

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: jjvaughn AT juno.com
  • To: Market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Personal vs work balance
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 11:09:45 -0600

We noticed with interest the posts yesterday about greenhouse sales that
mentioned eating out more during the season to just get away from the
home-business entanglement. We find just a 3 or 4 hour break from the
farm can really help us- even if it is visiting another farmer in a
relaxed setting. And another help last season was letting the answering
machine get the phone if we were eating dinner or just needed a break.
I know the April to October is a "survival" time for most growers, but
what do most of you do to cope with the farm taking over the home during
the growing season- mentally and physically.

It seems like our "numbers" show that the farm will work, but we often
wonder if our energy will hold out until the farm and marketing systems
are developed to the point that the farm "flows" better. I think this is
one the most underestimated problems with direct marketing- the
marketing factor takes so much time and mental energy.

Jim

Jim and Julie Vaughn
Rocky Glade Farm
Eagleville, TN
615-274-3496
jjvaughn AT juno.com

  • [Market-farming] Personal vs work balance, jjvaughn, 01/11/2003