market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Herb Farm Sales

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: PATRICIASHERBS AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Herb Farm Sales
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 13:30:39 EST

Hi Barb,
     Your concerns are definitely something to think about before doing it.  I started the greenhouse here at my house, first as a hobby/business.  At that time the neighborhood was still zoned agriculture.  So I am grandfathered in.  I loved it and it has just kept growing.   I do have set seasonal hours & days open.  A shop/old garage has been turned into my herb shop.  I can't take near everything I grow to markets or events, so I use them to promote folks coming here to the greenhouse.
  On the plus side- I can walk out the door to go to work.  When I'm closed (hopefully) sometimes even in my robe & slippers : )   Very short commute.   If it's slow I can come in & do laundry, clean, etc.  There is the financial benefit.  Mine also comes down to being my own boss & landlord.

  On the negative side-  I can walk out the door to go to work.  Sometimes I start getting a bit house bound.  Even on closed days, I'm of course still here working.   Our eating out goes go up during my season.  I can't escape alway's having something to do- either in the house or business.

  Some folks may come anytime, to just 'try and just catch you' to open up for them then.   After coming home a few times and finding people "just looking" at the plants in back, gates went up on the curved driveway.  I also found a baggy of money once, with a list of plants 'taken.'  And no, the money didn't even come close to paying for them.  The gates have locks.  Last year, we put gate alarms on them.  Love it!  Now when I'm open, I can be in the back of a greenhouse or  my head in the oven cleaning, and know when someone comes.    I consider myself a very private type of person.  So I do feel clashes having people walk through 'my space.'  To alleviate that- we've put decorative and privacy-making wood fences around a lot of the house & ornamental gates.  The customer retail area is focused.  Be prepared for the ever curious human, no matter the age, to go where you don't want them too!  Make sure you add extra insurance.

  All in all,  I would do it again.  If I could make one change- it would be to start out with more land!  We are looking to  move to more acreage, and yes,  it will also be open to the public.
   I look forward to discussing more on herb growing-

Patricia Mattson
http://theherbgarden.biz

We have many requests to provide
retail at our farm, but so far I have resisted!  That's such a big commitment
and I'm not ready to make it yet.  Maybe someday.......hmmmm.  What kind of
life do you have with people coming to your home?  Love the discussion with
this topic!

Barb Birkinbine
Oak Camp Herb Farm
Lodi, WI