market-farming - [Market-farming] Results of survey

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Fred & Rose Lieberman" <pyrite AT clarityconnect.com>
  • To: <Homestead-Work AT yahoogroups.com>, <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Results of survey
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 12:23:21 -0500

Because there were fewer than a dozen responses, I thought I'd just share what they actually were.  I REALLY, REALLY APRECIATE EVERYONE'S RESPONSES!  They were so very, very helpful, especially sharing your feelings about why you would buy or why you would not.  And if you still want to send your responses in, I'd love it!

Here goes...

Question 1:  How much would you pay for a country bouquet?...The number of stems would be anywhere from 8-12, not including fillers.
ANSWER:  Seems to average between $3 and $8.

$3-5
$4-6
little as possible
depends
unsure
$6-8
not much
$3.50-4.50; 3 for $12
$5-25
$8
$5

Question 2:  Do you prefer the look of a mass of one type of flower? or a mixed bouquet?
ANSWER:  Counting "depends" and "both" as mix and mass, it's weighted slightly toward mixed.

mix
mass (type)
mix
depends
both
mass (type)
mix
mix; make-your-own
both
mix
mass

Question 3:  Would you stop at a roadside stand or farmers market for a bouquet?
ANSWER:  Yes.
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes
if close to home
maybe
yes
yes
yes
yes, if schedule OK

Question 4:  If you don't normally buy bouquets or a flower bunch, what about the
bouquet would inspire you to pick it up?
ANSWER:  Striking colors seem to be the head turners, amongst some other interesting responses.

Colorful / fragrant / fits in a table top vase
I tire of zinnias
fresh and unusual
just has to grab
top quality, fresh, color
vibrant color; monocromatic better; keeps my attention
has to be special since she grows her own
men like hot colors; women like cooler colors
no answer
beautiful and good value
striking colors

Question 5:  If there is no scent to a bouquet are you disappointed?  Enough to put
it back?  Does it figure in your purchase at all?
ANSWER:  Scent is a plus, as long as it's not overwhelming.

yes
yes
yes
yes
yes; no scent - put back
prefers no strong scent
no heavy scent
yes
yes
not important
yes

Question 6:  What are your three top cutflowers you love to see in a bouquet?
ANSWER:  Quite a variety, but sunflowers and delphiniums were noted.

whatever is in season
butterfly weed, tithonia, anything overwhelmingly orange
can't name; as long as they are fresh and healthy
roses, small lilies, carnations
sunflowers
tulips
didn't answer
zinnias, rudbeckia, sunflowers, lisianthus
no answer
delphiniums, anything non-standard, sweet peas, lily of the valley
roses, sunflowers, larkspur, delphinium

Question 7:  What are your three least favorite cutflowers for a bouquet?  Those
flowers that don't even inspire you to stop at the stand.
ANSWER:  Definitely personal taste here, but notice the presence of sunflowers here.

fillers like Baby's Breath and ferns
celosia, daisy and that sickeningly sweet lily
can't name; but will buy only if fresh and healthy
daisies, gladiolas, sunflowers, black-eyed susans (I can get on roadside)
carnations
carnations, sunflowers, baby's breath as filler
didn't answer
customers seem to buy whatever they have at the time
no answer
carnations, chrysanthemums, sunflowers
tulips (falls too fast), daisy derivatives (echinacea, rudbeckia, etc.)

Question 8:  How often would you buy bouquets during the growing season if the price
was right and the bouquets were appealing?
ANSWER:  Mostly weekly.

weekly
12-15/year
weekly; if I have $
weekly if good vase life
no set time
monthly
didn't answer
weekly
weekly
monthly
weekly

Question 9:  Is a bouquet an impulse purchase for you or is it an item on your
shopping list?
ANSWER:  Predominantly impulse.

list
impulse
impulse
impulse mostly
impulse
impulse; something else must draw me in (like strawberries)
probably an impulse
depends
no answer
3 or 4x; other times must have a reason
impulse

Question 10:  How do you feel about the addition of herbs or woody ornamentals in a
flower bouquet?  For instance, a piece of crooked willow, or a sprig of
newly opened maple; a fragrant oregano - offering a different texture than
just flowers.
ANSWER:  Predominantly a plus.

great
great
oh, yeah
yes, if design OK
just flowers
loves this idea
great idea
OK; but must last
Love it!
only if it looks good
yes; makes the difference
loves varietaged hostas and purple leaves of heuchera

Additional interesting comment:  one concern is heavily sprayed (toxic) bouquets.

Again, thanks to everyone who participated.  If you haven't participated and still want to, that'd be great.

Rose

  • [Market-farming] Results of survey, Fred & Rose Lieberman, 01/10/2003