market-farming - Concord grapes, was Re: [Market-farming] Two questions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Heather L Rauschenberger <cross-r-ranch AT juno.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Concord grapes, was Re: [Market-farming] Two questions
  • Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 08:46:55 -0800

I don't know about a training schedule per se for Concords, but they are
prolific even if not cared for. While growing up, we had some concord
grapevines in our back yard, growing on a small grape trellis (the kind
with a couple fenceposts with four wires strung between them).
Unfortunately for a few young pine trees, the grape trellis was right
behind the trees! (They were that way when we moved in and had been for
some time, to just by the damage to the trees.) Those grapes never once
got trimmed or pruned or properly taken care of - not even fertilized -
yet they grew like gangbusters, and always produced more grapes than we
could easily use. We often gave away bushels of bunches just to get rid
of them. We made grape juice for drinking and jellymaking (good thing I
loved grape jelly, lol - still do!) as well as just hanging bunches on
the clothesline to sundry into raisins. (For some reason, we rarely
dried clothes on the line - Mom always wanted to dry them at the
laundromat, probably because we had to be there to wash them anyhow.)
Excellent growers - they'll run rampant if not kept in check, and with
absolutely no encouragement!

Heather R
http://cross-r-ranch.freeservers.com/paidemail.htm

  • Concord grapes, was Re: [Market-farming] Two questions, Heather L Rauschenberger, 12/30/2002