market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re: Market-farming digest, Garden seeder

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Fred & Rose Lieberman" <pyrite AT clarityconnect.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re: Market-farming digest, Garden seeder
  • Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 11:45:33 -0500

My experience tells me that it's good for what it does and what's it's meant
to handle.

It has a few problems, but if you're going from hand seeding an acre or so
of decent soil that's been worked a good it in the past, then you're OK.

If, however, you start off with poorly tilled soil that's still got a lot of
sod pieces on it, it's going to be very inefficient.

Because I moved around a lot, I always seemed to start on soil that was in
sod for a very long time. My Troy-Bilt was replaced with a BCS - possibly
my BIGGEST MISTAKE YET IN LIFE! - and that very expensive, hefty BCS
couldn't get effectively through sod without a gazillion passes.

When I tried to use my seeder over the BCS-tilled soil, it was horrible.
Seeds poppin' all over the place, no seed cover, lines were awful as the sod
pieces got in the way. But after a season or two of very hard work tilling,
then the seeder worked like a dream.

But without good tilth, it's a test of patience and how far you can throw
it!

Rose