market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Storing Squash

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: pam AT twinoaks.org
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Storing Squash
  • Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 13:21:33 -0500

Butternut Squash and similsr types, such as Cheese
Pumpkins and Seminole Squash store right through to
June, in my experience! We made a rat-proof cage
(wood frame covered with rat wire) in our basement,
and we put the squash on wood shelves. The smaller
squash go on mesh trays on the shelf. We sort
through once a week, looking for damaged ones, but
after about the end of November, the rate of rot slows
right down. The temperature is about 50F, and it's
fairly dry in there.
ATTRA has a good new publication on winter
squash. It's on their website, which is <ATTRA.org>.
Also, a few years ago, Growing for Market had a really
excellent article on winter squash - recognising
maturity, curing and storing. I think it was a September
issue, try <growingformarket.com>
My understanding is that Acorn squash is
regarded by many as a fall squash, rather than a
winter squash, and is not expected to last much
beyond the end of the year, although if you get good
storage conditions it can certainly go to February.
Pam Dawling, Twin Oaks Community, Louisa,
Virginia

  • [Market-farming] Re: Storing Squash, pam, 12/22/2002