market-farming - [Market-farming] Burning

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mckemie AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Burning
  • Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 09:25:47 -0600

Is anyone else out there burning to clean up fields?

I tried this last winter to clean up an asparagus field, seemingly to
good effect. I have since burned several vegetable fields with good
results. I suspect that it has several benefits: reduce weed seed,
reduce insects, reduce diseases, and provide nutrients. I KNOW that it
facilitates cultivation. My goal is to use buried drip tape as long as
possible and to postpone general plowing as long as possible.

I have recently acquired a sickle bar that works very well to scalp the
beds a week or two before burning. Cleaning up an okra field has, in
the past, been a daunting task. I sometimes let an old okra field lay
out for six months or more to allow the stumps resulting from shredding
to decay. With the stumps cut close to the ground with the sickle bar,
I hope to have the okra fields ready to re-plant in just a few weeks.
Anyone else have stories on getting rid of okra?

--
Willie USS Harry S Truman: 97,000 tons of diplomacy
Are YOU an html abuser? http://www.expita.com/nomime.html

  • [Market-farming] Burning, Willie McKemie, 12/12/2002