market-farming - [Market-farming] market definition

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leigh <lh AT pressroom.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] market definition
  • Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 10:14:55 -0500

I second Bob's comments about markets. Markets were not created by a god
as people would have us believe, they are created, twisted, tweaked, tuned
and taken advantage of by people. There is a whole industry right here in
DC devoted to creating and modifying market rules. It seems very obvious
to say so, markets are created by governments (last time I looked the
transportation system and money we spend was a government function), which
in our case is at least in theory supposed to be the will of the majority
of people. There is a political aspect to all markets and there always has
been. As Bob said, we should take advantage of the rules that are
particular market system has. And what I say, if we don't like those
rules, we, as market farmers, should work collectively to change them to
our advantage. (the other players in the agricultural market game sure
are).

Bull Run Mountain Vegetable Farm

  • [Market-farming] market definition, Leigh, 12/12/2002