market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Tomatoes (Totally Tomatoes)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leigh Hauter <lh AT pressroom.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Tomatoes (Totally Tomatoes)
  • Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 18:07:03 -0500

I've been ordering from TT for a decade now and while sometimes I am disappointed that low level of germination hasn't been a problem, especially with their tomatoes. (my real gripe with tt is the poor quality of their catalogue. Each seed description sounds like a pitch from a used car salesman who is trying to sell you a clunker, or worse.

Since tt's catalogue arrived this week on the same day as Vermont bean and Seymour's. All 3 catalogues were the same shape and format and all had the same return address (Randolph, WI) I assumed that either

1. all three companies were now owned by the same company (TT once, just a few years ago, was out of Georgia, I think -at least the woman on the phone had a really pretty southern accent).

or

2. They have contracted out to the same company to handle their catalogue sales.

I'm sure the seed industry, like most industries in America, are subject to increasing concentration.

Rob Johnston, I'm sure you all have had offers, probably some of them very, very attractive (you run a good company), to sell.

I've had friends who have started businesses and then, when they became successful, sold out to a large conglomerate. On one level you can't really blame them, being able to comfortably retire and do all of those things that working prevents you from doing. Unfortunately, in my experience, businesses that have been sold by the founders and owner/operators as seldom as well run.