market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Locallly grown produce in national chain accounts

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Nan Johnson" <nan AT olemiss.edu>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Locallly grown produce in national chain accounts
  • Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 15:47:04 -0800

Thanks, Adriana for the words re: Sysco.....they also have purchased
vegetables (e.g. yellow squash) from local growers (people I know
personally) here in Mississippi - I was told they tried to be quite flexible
too!

And don't forget, Star Market in New England has been part of the "Be a
Local Hero, Buy Local Food" campaign - I met with one of their managers and
he was quite pleased with this major shift in corporate buying - the key
here was that a bunch of the local growers got together in some type of
cooperative type, and he only had to place one order with the cooperative -
all growers brought their produce to this warehouse.

nan
dancing goats farm
n. mississippi zone 7

Adriana wrote....