market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Ashes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Ashes
  • Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 08:15:25 -0500

> Liz, I also read somewhere that over-manuring, or over-sidedressing
potatoes
> with manure can increase the incidence of scab. Is that true?

all I've ever heard (from my grandparents, but never tried since it was part
of their "oral, farming bible ; ))) is that "fresh" manure (not composted)
will raise the ph, which is what triggers the scab, which is what the ashes
do. Ashes, in effect, are like liming your soil. This may all be moot
since we can get scab-resistant potato varieties now, but the same problems
can affect other root crops, like Lucy mentioned, radishes, turnips,
carrots, etc. We put wood ash on the gardens & fields, but sparingly.

Liz Pike
Laughingbrook Farm
Westfield NC
http://www.marketfarming.com