market-farming - [Market-farming] Pet Shares

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <jgj23 AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Pet Shares
  • Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 14:23:04 -0800 (PST)

Hook Family wrote:

>year. I met the young woman in grocery store and she said they are feeling
>the $ buying veg for guinea pigs :). I let them take all sorts of "trash"
>bolted lettuce etc.

This brings up an untapped market for "seconds quality" produce.

People with rabbits, guinea pigs and other vegan pets
could be a very strong market for less than perfect
merchandise. These pet owners may be interested
in saving money and time and getting fresher quality
without paying supermarket prices.

Shares could be sold for different types of animals
based on their size and eating habits. Well balanced
(dietetically) shares could be designed with the help
of animal husbandry experts or a vet.

Find customers with a small ad in the local newspaper
or direct mailings to pet clubs. Advertising on your
farm web site would also be useful.

Don't be shy about pricing because many people
spend more on their pets than they do on themselves.

Jay Gee
not a farmer -- but interested in farming