market-farming - [Market-farming] re: Ouija Boards & 8-balls

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Miranda Smith" <mirandas2 AT attbi.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] re: Ouija Boards & 8-balls
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 12:12:02 -0500

Re: Ouija Boards & 8-balls

Answers differ for different regions, but some things stay consistent.

Good seed suppliers in the NE include Fedco--if you know your
cultivars--and Johnny's Selected Seeds.

I always prefer my own transplants. Not only can I grow the cultivars
that perform best for me, I can grow the quality I want. --No
wirestem, no wimpy cotyledons, no legginess--and I can time them
correctly for my transplant schedule.

>Can I really grow onions as good as Vidalias

The keys to good onions are a high level of organic matter, consistent
and moderately high soil moisture levels, timely and thorough weeding
and cultivation (to add oxygen if your soil gets at all compacted),
and cultivar choice. Ailsa Craigs and Walla Walla Sweets are both
sweet and big--customers love them.

>or garlics that compete with those from California?

Sulfur, yes--Sul-Po-Mag does a good job unless you have to watch out
for an excess of Mag. Also steady and adequate moisture, high SOM,
good N, thorough weeding. If you can get them, unwashed (read dirty)
fleeces are the best mulch I've ever used. They are a bit of labor
because you have to roll them back up after harvest--they won't break
down over the time they are used, but they are a great mulch for
garlic.

> Are there vegetables that are simply not worth the bother?

Don't grow high labor crops unless you can sell them for a high price.
No filet vert is worth it in my market, but fancy, hand-cut, baby
green mixtures definitely are--you have to get to know your markets.

>Are there some home grown varieties that should be in every
> growers gardens?

Depends on your markets as well as your soil & growing conditions.
Some people around here (western MA) do beautifully with heirloom
tomatoes. Other people don't because they lack the right markets or
can't control the diseases that plague these cultivars.

Miranda Smith

  • [Market-farming] re: Ouija Boards & 8-balls, Miranda Smith, 11/22/2002