market-farming - Another Hoop house idea

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Bob, Kathleen, & Kory Brocious" <bbrocious AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Another Hoop house idea
  • Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 14:48:52 +0000

Folks,
I'm a lurker and sometimes contributor to this list.  My wife and son and I have just finished our first year CSA.  We also raise Holstein bucket calves.  We have 27 right now.  I've been using a similar 1" EMT conduit structures for a variety of farm needs.  Currently one is used for our portable hen house.  The 1" EMT conduit is connected using welded joints from a company called "Shelters-To-Go."  They are very durable.  You can see them on www.shelters-to-go.com/dome.html.  I will use another one next fall for a portable calf shelter.  I will use still another one for a hoop house.  Instead of bending the 10' conduit the connectors from Shelters to Go allows you to make a 6 sided dome.  You can make it as long and as wide and tall as you want.  The connectors don't care how long the conduit is.  The company is trustworthy and stands behind their products.

As far as wind resistence I think you will find this shape equally suitable for high winds.
Best regards,

Bob, Kathleen, and Kory Brocious
Tenacity Farm
Campbellsburg, Kentucky