market-farming - planting garlic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Maroc <maroc AT islandnet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: planting garlic
  • Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 13:32:34 -0800

Pam at Twin Oaks, I agree with not getting garlic in too soon but I
experience is that it is the weather not the date that matters. We've been
having very mild winters (Vancouver Island, Canada) and have had to plant
later. If the temperatures are too high (daytime above 15 C/60 F) you
should hold off. Our problem is juggling temperature with moisture, since
usually our winter rains start in October and continue until April. This
year we are still too warm but are also still very dry. The ground is ready
and we will plant soon (last year it was the middle of November and we had a
great crop this summer and are planting some fine seed). Good luck everyone
with your garlic - one of our most important foods, whether assessed for
flavour, nutrition or therapy.

Don Maroc