market-farming - Re: tobacco allotments

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "John M. Moser" <joma AT direcpc.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: tobacco allotments
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 19:25:09 -0400

Marie,

I haven't raised tobacco in about 30 years, but here goes. As best I can
remember the tobacco quota system is a federal program that gives
rules/guidelines to the states for administration. The allotments are
measured in pounds here in NC and I think that's pretty standard. I believe
the allotments are also for a specific type (ie.. Burley, Golden Leaf,
etc..) but not a specific cultivar. Many growers raise their own
transplants, but it's not uncommon for a grower to raise extras for sale. I
don't have any recollection of how seed is obtained. For specific info try
your state Dept of Ag.

John Moser
Fleetwood, NC