market-farming - Newbie Intro - NYS, Z5

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Fred & Rose Lieberman" <pyrite AT clarityconnect.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Newbie Intro - NYS, Z5
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 09:58:30 -0400

Hello, All. My name is Rose, I'm 54, I live in rural upstate New York with
husband, Fred, and our four cats.

We're in the process of looking for another place and plan to establish a
cutflower farm - 1 acre minimum, 3 acre maximum. We'll also do vegetables
and herbs, and possibly heirloom seedlings that we can start in our
hoophouse.

We lead a very simple homestead-type lifestyle; we heat with wood.
Currently, and for the past two years, we've lived at bare minimum - no
amenities, no plumbing, etc. But we do have electricity and phone. By the
way, we live in that hoophouse. You can see the type of hoophouse I'm
talking about at www.hoophouse.com. The size we have is 10' wide and 48'
long. It's an odd lifestyle, but it suits us for now.

We're planning to build our own pole house at the next homestead, and that's
where the farm will be. We'll be relocating within this same area,
generally speaking.

Anyway, good to be here.

Rose

  • Newbie Intro - NYS, Z5, Fred & Rose Lieberman, 10/23/2002