market-farming - Re: democracy vs liberty in farming

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: democracy vs liberty in farming
  • Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 20:11:39 -0500

> Your post is analogous to the argument I have with the NCBA (active member
> and need their propaganda) on allowing some of the Check Off monies to be
> used to promote grass finished beef. Their argument is that they cannot
> support a particular sector of the beef industry, but they do a
> fine job of
> promoting feedlot and imported beef products.

The only thing is that the check off is not a choice for farmers. You can
not ... not ... participate.

Has the U.S. Supreme Court yet ruled on the constitutionality of the beef
check off?

They did declare the mushroom check off to be unconstitutional but have
considered the dairy check off to be constitutional because dairy farmers
are so intertwined with the government already, they can be ordered to
participate due to the benefits that they get. (And that was before the new
MILC welfare program for dairy).

Didn't we hear some rumblings from the USDA that NOP certified farmers might
be able to opt out of the beef and pork check offs?

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm
Dairy heifers and dairy beef graziers