market-farming - Re: smorgasbord

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rainbow's End Farms & Orchards" <rainbowsend AT swva.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: smorgasbord
  • Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 18:40:03 -0700

If I tried to bail there is no way to avoid the
wide spread of the rear wheels. After hearing from
several of the locals about how their father was
crushed and killed on a tractor I decided this was
NOT the hill I choose to die on! In all
seriousity, I choose to recognize my limits. The
same is true with a 4 wheeler (not a 4 wheel drive
tractor, but a 4 wheeler) so far this season one
came over backwards and flipped as it then rolled
across my back, the next week a local minister was
killed trying to climb a hill, then I endured an
agonizing month after losing all of the skin on
the side of my foot when climbing a relatively
small hill resulted in a dethatcher sandwiching my
foot firmly against the engine. After much time
talking with the local tractor pros I learned that
the only really safe way to handle the steeper
hill is pointing up and the going forward and
backward...remember I now have 800 pounds
additional front weight...yet even now I let the
pros handle the truly challenging hills...and even
they have a huge amount of respect for what they
can and cannot do.
Larry
Rainbows End Farms and Orchards
880 Central Academy Road