market-farming - Re: top ten vegetables

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "SisterSoap" <sisoap AT gwtc.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: top ten vegetables
  • Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 18:17:41 -0600

Larry Walker wrote:
>Is there a top ten of those vegetables for which there is always a good return? <  Rainbows End Farms and Orchards

Good evening.  I've been lurking for a couple of weeks.  I am in the Black Hills of South Dakota.  I've been selling soap at a Farmer's Market one hour north of home.  Next year, I hope to sell vegetables and cut flowers.  I am very new at this, so I hope I'm not jumping in when I should be keepin' quiet <G>

I have discussed my next year plans with a few other vendors at our market. Among other things, they have all suggested selling what you're passionate about and what grows good in your area.  And suggested I'd be crazy to not have,
1) tomatoes  2) cucumbers  3) peppers  4) sweet corn        one told me squash just does not do any good.  Another said summer squash does great.
....I can do all that, but <g> I havfta grow heirloom or weird :-)..just fits my personality better.

I'd be very interested in this thread.  Is there a top 10?

I'm on my way out to pick the last (probably) of my peppers :-(   We have snow forcast for this weekend.  bummer.

Rosie..Black Hills..South Dakota
Sisters Soaps & Sundries

  • Re: top ten vegetables, SisterSoap, 10/07/2002