market-farming - Re: [market-farming]new market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mckemie AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [market-farming]new market
  • Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 13:59:56 -0500

> One - we will have to set up a structure for our group, non-profit corp. or
> something. What kind of structure do other markets use and do they work for
> you? Is there a format you would care to share?

Most of the markets in this area are operated by associations of
farmers. One of my pet long-term projects is promoting a form of
by-laws that allows the an association to operate effectively and deal
with unforeseen situations. Alas! I have been mostly un-successful. One
problem with many by-laws in use is that they make no provision for
timely intervention in the case of an officer that is missing or
misbehaving.

View my version of "good" by-laws at
http://austinfarm.org/RiverValley/bastrop

The by-laws call for long overlapping terms of Directors and
appointment of officers by the Directors. They also address the
re-seller problem, probably as well as it can be addressed in by-laws.

The by-laws are modeled after some recommended by FMHA (or whatever
federal organization oversees small rural water systems).

--
Willie
Are YOU an html abuser? http://www.expita.com/nomime.html