market-farming - farmers market lack of competion

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: farmers market lack of competion
  • Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 10:09:45 -0400

Steve wrote:
So I was talking to my local manager, who wouldn't let me sell this year
because I was too late applying. I asked how to fix this for next year and
she said I couldn't because she has to take care of her existing vendors,
who apparently are barely making it. I said having more vendors makes the
market more interesting and brings in more people, like me before I was
grower. I stopped going to the market because it's so average. This didn't
go over well (I thought it would?). There are plenty of other markets very
nearby so it's no the end of the world but it frosts me that I can't sell in
my own town!!!
*******
I have been to only a few farmers markets scoping them out to see if this is
a market I'd like to pursue along with the CSA. From casual reading I think
the number of farmers is being resricted in some of our local markets. The
only reason I think they should be would be actual space. But I think the
managers are very wrong in limiting number thinking this will increase
sales. I say as an observer it increases boredom.
A few markets I check out were 2 or 3 vendors I thought no way I don't want
to sell here.
I agreed to be in one and dropped out after a SERIOUS location change. I
visited the new location once. 3 vendors hardly any customers, they were
gone in less than one month.
I went to a market in Redmond Wa it was large compared to anything I'd ever
seen although I think small compared to many. It was the cheeriest one I'd
ever been to. Lots of vendors, crafts and cooked food. I thought wow some
of those puny ones I've seen should see this :).

I don't know how many times, many, I have read stuff like stack them high
see them fly. Meaning abundance sells. Why should that be just on
individual tables I think it should be the market as a whole. Oh well good
luck. Beth

  • farmers market lack of competion, Hook Family, 10/02/2002