market-farming - RE: Writer's Request: Organic Industry vs Organi c Movement

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Writer's Request: Organic Industry vs Organi c Movement
  • Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 13:10:36 -0500

Paul & barb wrote:
> does IRS have their sticky fingers in this new
> rule? Hmmm?

This sounds more like a red herring.

> While
> I'm on the subject, I realize there's a need to have some standard to keep
> corporate giants from calling everything "organic", yet there
> must be a way
> to label our produce without the feds assuming the right to dictate what's
> organic and what's not.

It is the other way from my perspective. The organic products are going to
be produced in an increasing number by the large corporations due to the
fact that organic has achieved a certain level of market acceptance to make
it a viable class of food products. It just is no longer a niche market so
the normal progression occurs with commoditization of such products.

The federal government has most definitely dictated what is organic and
what's not organic. Surely, you are familiar with the NOP? This is a
strictly federal rule and it goes into effect in a few days from now.

> Personally, I don't think it's the federal
> government's business in the first place.

Although it is a done deal now and the federal government made the NOP with
a huge amount of input from many stakeholders, some of us still wonder
(maybe foolishly), if it will be legal for the government to preempt the
term "organic."

Sincerely,

Rick Williams

  • RE: Writer's Request: Organic Industry vs Organi c Movement, Rick Williams, 09/28/2002