market-farming - Re: Advertising

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mckemie AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Advertising
  • Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 04:38:00 -0500

> newspaper advertising? Our market manager was complaining about the
> high cost of newspaper advertising, saying it was running at$16,000
> for the 4 months. Ouch! Are there other more effective forms othern
>
> Adriana

Talk to me about a market that can afford $16K for a season's newspaper
advertising! Where is it? How many vendors? What are individual and
collective stall fees? What volume of sales to vendors expect? Our
seasonal advertising budgets are generally $1K or less.

In central Texas, all our markets start "going South" sometime in July.
June is our peak for number of sellers, variety of produce, and demand
from consumers. One or two markets close during most of August and
September. The Fall markets, re-opening in September or October and
going until the freeze in November or December, are always a
disappointment. A major factor in the equation is that our Fall tomato
crop (the primary draw at markets) is always low volume and usually low
quality; there are few to no local tomatoes in the August-September
period between our Spring and Fall seasons. Peaches are another big
draw, but they are gone in July.

Elsewhere, do vigorous markets depend on homegrown tomatoes?

--
Willie Onward! Through the fog!
Are YOU an html abuser? http://www.expita.com/nomime.html