market-farming - Re: [market-farming]Profitability

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [market-farming]Profitability
  • Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 15:31:14 -0500

Rick,

I sold at farmers' markets for just 4 years so I don't have the wealth of
experience others here have.

However, in regard to your questions about what sells and why?

I sold at one market at our county seat. Small city. It was impossible to
make any money there. The location was great, the traffic flow was
excellent... nobody came to buy. Well, and if they did, they didn't want to
spend much. Complained about prices all the time. Most customers were
elderly and looking for something to do on Saturday morning.

The next two/three years (I quit in the middle of last season) I joined a
farmers' market association that was newly developed. So I got in on the
'ground' floor. We were courted by Kankakee, IL Economic Development Corp.
They wanted to revitalized downtown and they bent over backwards to get us
down there. With just 10 vendors or so to start.

It was very easy to develop a customer base there. The USDA organizer is
very active and threw a lot of money into advertising, events, etc. There
must be 25 vendors there now... mainly produce. The parking lot is jammed
every Saturday. Everybody is making money. Or hell they oughta be. I
watched people walk out with a half dozen bags of produce. I'm a sucker, I
can't get out of there without spending at least $40. I have to get there
early or just about everything is gone by 10 or 11. (market stays open 'til
1)

People have improved their stands. We have a mix of organic and
conventional. Meats, eggs, perennials, some crafts, flowers, soaps, baked
good, etc... Also a pop corn vendor.

The only thing that market is missing now is another hot food vendor. We
lost our Mexican folks who ran a great stand. I think that having ready to
eat food at a market is a plus. People hang around a bit more.

I started out as an herb vendor and added produce later. No one has filled
the herb niche there. And I do see old customers asking, where are you? So
that market exists. Someone should take it up and diversify their stand for
the additional sales.

What will sell and why has something to do with your market base of
customers. Why are they there, what are they looking for? Why do they take
the time to go to a farmers' market? There must be some distinguishing
features of those customers that each vendor should take into account to
increase sales.

And speaking of berries, a vendor was selling blackberries for $4.50 a
quart. I couldn't justify that. But damn did they look good. I went for
the $3 raspberries instead and some peaches.

Del Williams
Clifton, IL