market-farming - sorghum

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: sorghum
  • Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 10:44:41 -0400

First a caution about going wild about what is posted and what is not. I
was on a list a few years ago, it was my favorite list, CSA. I don't really
remember what the off topic was per say actually I think it was nuts and
bolts :). We were only to talk about CSA well besides nuts and bolts how
many times can one discuss, pickups, advertising, dealing with members etc.
All the people with knowledge seemed to disappear and while I am still sub.
I get less than one message a month.

Ok my market question. I grew decorative sorghum black and red broom corn.
Its pretty stuff, but I realized I don't know what the "normal" harvest is.
Do I harvest the black vegetation at the top or the broom corn? Then use it
for bouquets or do you cut the whole stock and have fancy corn stocks.
Guess I should says where might the most $ be? :). Thanks Beth

  • sorghum, Hook Family, 09/02/2002