market-farming - Re: Changes, changes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: HackettShark AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Changes, changes
  • Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 09:08:18 EDT

In a message dated 9/1/02 11:19:47 PM Central Daylight Time, kampy AT grm.net writes:

.  We're working on plans for
a health department approved kitchen here on the farm.

Marie good to here from you again.  Good luck with the kitchen, we have been working on it for a number of years.  I think we will stay on the same course that we are on right now.  Doing 6 markets a week, one jobber delivery and the restaurant deliveries once a week has made this an excellent year, can always use more.

We have seen a large increase in Meat sales in all the market that we go to and their successes have been value adding their product like making sausage and such.  One producer even makes hamburgers at the market and steak and eggs for breakfast, he make a killing at 5 in the morning from the other vendors.

The only way your will succeed in this business is to work at it.  No one is going to come and runafter you to buy a few pounds of produce.  I spend my whole winter, every day, calling on prospects for the current products that I sell out of my hoophouses and greenhouses.  It does work to start someone in the dead of winter and keep his or her business the whole next summer because they get hooked on the freshness, but you have to be in line price wise with the wholesale people or just forget it.

I seal nothing because of the laws in Iowa require a license to do so, and at present we are selling enough direct that I really feel that I don't want to spend the 20,000 to get the license, or the added insurance.  Almost every thing is sold in bulk washed and spun dried and put in 5# plastic bag with a twisty, or loose  in a veggie box.  This works for the jobber we sell to.

Just a note  Last week I used my delete button a lot.  Some of you need to get a life.

Phil from Iowa

  • Changes, changes, Marie Kamphefner, 09/02/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Changes, changes, HackettShark, 09/02/2002