market-farming - Re: Farmers Markets without Farmers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <jgj23 AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Farmers Markets without Farmers
  • Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2002 12:59:01 +0000

Bob wrote:

> [...]
said there are not enough farmers coming into the city to fill the need.<<<<
<snip>
live music, anything to bring in people, but without farmers its not a
farmers
market...<<<<

I've said it before, I'll repeat myself now.

The single best way to round up farmers for a market
or customers for a market is to advertise for them.

All the yogurt, pizza and live music in the world won't
attract a crowd full of buyers for farm grown products
in sufficient proportion to make it successful for the
growers who sell at such a market.

Advertising lets you find people who want what is
being offered. If there are no takers, there is a
reason. But if one does not advertise, all the rest
is pure speculation. Farmers speculate on the
weather, they should not speculate about whether
or not there will be a customer for what they have
produced.

Jay Gee
not a farmer -- but interested in farming