market-farming - Re: Farmers Markets without Farmers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Farmers Markets without Farmers
  • Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 11:34:29 -0500

Geeze, Steve, wouldn't you and I have made a political force in my market
organization?

They went for major protectionism among existing members two years ago and I
adamantly objected. Competition is important. Otherwise people get lazy
and it's the same old, same old thing.

I see that this year, our old free range chicken guy came back to directly
compete with the new free range operation. Good for him! He has a unique
stand with produce as well. The other vendor... they have eggs and beef now
too. I think the variety has been good for the market. And all people
could think of was protecting the original stand.

The craft thing kind of bugs me but it has its place in some markets.
Farmers' markets are a bit touristy in some places. Sometimes, it just
makes people stop to look.

I went to a market in Greenwich, CT a couple years ago. Talk about a basic
market. And in a very affluent community. The range of small vendors doing
speciality stuff. My God. Yeah they had their large vendors but they had
plenty of small vendors with a range of bakery goods, herbal mixes,
heirlooms, ... I just had to buy. And taste the local goods. It was a
rustic but great market. Nothing flashy. Just great stuff.

Stay with it. You have some great thoughts that will make you profitable if
you stick with it. It is a labor intensive business with great rewards.
Personal and profitable.

People just tend to protect their own turf. Keep your name in the list of
hopeful vendors and I think you'll find success. We ended up letting in a
half dozen of new vendors last year and I hear everyone saying, thank god we
did. It improved the appeal of the market even though it produced
competition. More customers more profits for all.

I wish our market had originally focussed more on simple marketing of the
market.

Del Williams
Farmer in the Del
Clifton, IL