market-farming - harvesting sunchokes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Paul" <webmaster AT globalcircle.net>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: harvesting sunchokes
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 22:26:21 -0600

much more information at these two sites. I'd like to hear more of the
sunchoke growing.

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/afcm/jerusart.html
G. Harvesting:
Harvesting the tuber crop is similar to potatoes, with a few exceptions.
The potato vine is weak and usually has senesced before harvest, which is
in contrast to the continued growth of the strong artichoke stems. Potato
tubers separate easily from the stems, while the large mass of artichoke
tubers are strongly attached and intertwined with the roots. By adding
small chains and increasing agitation, you can convert a potato digger to a
Jerusalem artichoke digger. Artichoke tubers are smaller than potatoes, so
these modifications are necessary to decrease the potential 50% loss that
may occur with a conventional potato digger. Tops, roots, and tubers can be
sorted as they are harvested, or they can be dried and then sorted.
Artichoke tubers will wilt and soften much faster than potato tubers and
thus cannot be left at low humidities too long before storage.

H. Storage:
Tubers can be harvested in the fall or left in the ground for winter
storage and spring harvest. Tubers should be stored at 33 to 340 F and at
very high humidity. Spoilage is more prevalent with diseased, bruised, or
skinned tubers. Tubers that are kept for seed should not be frozen in
storage.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-1-a.html
Harvesting
The crop should not be harvested until after frost. Tubers dug later in the
season are sweeter but have less inulin. Tops should be cut with a mower.
Plow open the furrow, pick up the tubers, place in field containers, and
remove from the field. Hand rakes can be used to great advantage in
locating the tubers. Because of their small size it is necessary to use a
small, modified potato harvester to mechanically harvest the tubers.

paul & barb - on the continental divide
http://globalcircle.net