market-farming - poultry processing facility

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick & Tracy Meisterheim" <wagbo AT torchlake.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: poultry processing facility
  • Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 10:07:34 -0400

Hi Bee,
We have a licensed poultry processing facility that is mobile - in a 16'
trailer that moves around to different farms so that all our local poultry
farmers can legally process their birds. We are all raising our birds on
pasture, as organically as possible, but none of us are certified due to
lack of a source of organic feed. Our facility is not "certified organic",
but we have been told it could be . It is licensed by the state of
Michigan. I would be happy to send you the plans for building it, as it was
a grant funded project, with money provided by the USDA Sustainable
Agriculture Research and Education project. (They should also be available
through North Central region SARE office in Nebraska, or at any Michigan
extension office, for those of you on the list in my region.) Send me you
email address so that I can send them to you as an attachment (they are in
Word 98).
Tracy Meisterheim
Wagbo Peace Center
East Jordan, Michigan