market-farming - Re: market-farming digest: August 14, 2002

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marcie Rosenzweig <fullcircle AT jps.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: market-farming digest: August 14, 2002
  • Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 13:06:45 -0700

Hi Dave,

Denise is closer to what we think we know about calcium uptake. Calcium has low water solubility. In times of high heat and rapid growth tomatoe plants may infact be taking up as much water as they can to cool themselves but not getting sufficient calcium to support the cell walls in the rapidly growing fruit.

Farm supplies known for supporting organic growers like Peaceful Valley Farm Supply in Grass Valley CA, sell soluable calcium for foliar spraying. It may not be available in small quantities. One quick trick is to use corn syrup, about 2 T per callon of water, as a dilute calcium solution for foliar application. Corn ia a calcium concentrator and corn syrup has a bunch. Be sure to spray when the sun isn't on the plant. On summer days even water droplets can act as magnifying glasses causing spotty leaf burns.

Marcie
--
Marcie A. Rosenzweig
Full Circle