market-farming - dumb compost question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Nan Johnson" <nan AT olemiss.edu>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: dumb compost question
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 13:55:13 -0700

The compost isn't dumb, it is I who can't quite figure out something basic....I can read articles forever, and still feel stumped when on my own farm.

All the C:N ratio figures don't seem to translate to my brain when faced with a pile of material I  want to hot compost -

Here's  a current scenario -  I have a certain amount of material (in this case, a pile of barn litter - hay -approx. 3 ft.x3ft.x 3ft) I can tell that it is about 100% carbon (amount of goat manure/urine is insignificant) -  For this volume of material, I want to add an N source, of course (in this case, alfalfa pellets)   - HOW MUCH Alfalfa pellets (by weight/volume?) do I layer into my hay to get it cooking?  How does one figure that out?

Since I don't have fresh grass clippings or manure, I feel compelled to purchase some sort of N (local grocery store won't give out old veggies) so came up with alfalfa pellets (rather than blood meal, e.g.)

Any help is much appreciated

nan
dancing goats farm
n. mississippi   zone 7

  • dumb compost question, Nan Johnson, 08/14/2002