market-farming - RE: Morning Glory

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Morning Glory
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 08:02:40 -0500

Must be degree days or soil temperature, not light. It germinates much
earlier than June here in Kentucky, and in our hoophouses, as early as
March, and as late as November. The seed much also be very durable - we
still have it in hoophouses that are 5-6 years old, and none has gone to
seed in them in that time.

Also, the allelopathic effect is from cereal (grain) rye, not ryegrass and
lasts 4-6 weeks from turning it under. Worth remembering if you plan to
SEED a market crop behind it.

Alison Wiediger
Au Naturel Farm