market-farming - RE: Morning Glory

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sunnfarm AT netscape.net
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu ("Market Farming")
  • Subject: RE: Morning Glory
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 09:09:26 -0400

Rye has no effect on morning glory thats because the covercrop is plowed
under in spring and morning glory does not germinate until June, apparently
MG needs a certain amount of accumulated degree days and or daylength before
it will germinate. I have noticed MG stops growing and does not germinate
much by September.
When rye is left to grow into seed into summer you will have a reduction in
MG, but you also have no crop.
Believe it or not your spotted knapweed is a powerfull allelopathic plant, it
produces a natural herbicide called Catechin, this chemical is being
developed and may be marketed in the near future as an organic herbicide.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.

>>Thanks to all for the great discussion on Morning Glory/Field Bindweed.
>I'm going to try a rye/clover cover crop in the fall.  I have been told
>that annual rye will put out a substance which will retard the growth of
>other plants, allelopathic--is this the right word?  Does anyone know if
>perenial Rye will do the same?
>Has anyone tried the vinegar treatment on Spotted Knapweed?

Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience
the convenience of buying online with Shop@Netscape!
http://shopnow.netscape.com/

http://webmail.netscape.com/