market-farming - Vinegar & other weeds

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie Gibson <willie.gibson AT uvm.edu>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Vinegar & other weeds
  • Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 11:43:40 -0400

I really hope for some info on this vinegar burn-down that gives formulation, sources, and any research trials done. I will scan the archives of this list for past discussions. Just a quickie on the last message from Bill, as he mentions burdock under perennials. Burdock in Vt is a biennial, so preventing any plant from going to flower is most effective way to reduce/remove burdock. Cutting &/or cultivation (or pulling on small-scale) is economical and practical for our biennials and annuals. Other common biennials: Bull thistle, Queen Anne's Lace, goldenrod,etc.

Anyone have experience in controlling Wild Chervil (Anthriscus sylvestris ) ? It looks like Queen Anne's Lace on STEROIDS, and comes out a four-six weeks before QAL. It is taking over roadsides and encroaching into pastures and hay fields in VT - even well-managed ones. It is an invasive, and I guess it is being spread much by roadside mowing, which invariably happens after seed set. Below is a bit of text from a fact sheet written by Dr. Sid Bosworth, our VT Extension Agronomist. The full text is available from the VT Crops & Soils web page under 'Pest Management' and 'Articles' (http://pss.uvm.edu/vtcrops/Pest.html#Articles).
It's three to four foot heights, fern-like leaves and white flowers arranged in a compound umbel pattern are quite pronounced during late May to early July and are commonly
found along roadsides and in meadows in central Vermont. It propagates by both seed and by lateral budding at the top of the root. Wild chervil is not poisonous to livestock and, although it is unpalatable when large, animals will graze it effectively when small.  This weed also serves as a host for the parsnip yellow fleck virus that infects carrots, celery, and parsnips.

Thanks to all of you for the wonderful education I get from this list.
+Peace,
Willie Gibson, University of Vermont Extension

  • Vinegar & other weeds, Willie Gibson, 08/09/2002