market-farming - Re: organic hay

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sussexbeef AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: organic hay
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 03:23:57 EDT

Can't speak for alalfa as I live in sandy acid area, pH too low for A; but why use bought in fertilizers if farming Organically.

Allowable organic ferts have a use in start up perhaps if the soil is depleted but you really need lots of Organic material to work into the soil.

I use red clover, white clover, and alsike with grasses. I also use chicory as this is deep rooting and builds soil condition.

As I broadcast seed, I use a higher seed rate which gives thick crop more quickly which chokes out many weeds and retains surface moisture on sandy soils. This year I sowed at 18 kgs (40 lbs) per acre on April 8 2002 and am ready now to mow a good cut of silage. This is farmed under Soil Association Organic rules here in the UK.

Hope this relevant to you

Best wishes

Richard Mortimore
Sussex England