market-farming - Re: Fall scallions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Ken Bezilla" <kenbez AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Fall scallions
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 14:34:52 +0000

yep, Fedco variety = "Evergreen Hardy White"

I haven't totally figured out winter scallions yet. The greens seem to get bruised somewhere below 25 degrees, but the white part seems OK for colder than that... I'm thinking the best thing is to either overwinter the scallions and let them perk up and put out new greens when it warms up in the spring before harvesting them; or, better, grow them in our hoophouse (i.e., greenhouse with the heat turned off) so that the greens will be in better shape.

For planting time... here (zone 6b, ~10/15 for first fall frost) I'm guessing ~9/1 for outside, ~9/15-10/1 for in hoophouse.

Ken Bezilla
East Wind Community
southern Missouri