market-farming - Re: garlic question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: pam AT twinoaks.org
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: garlic question
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 22:11:24 -0400

Allan
> How do you know when it is ready, Pam?
Yes, the big question. I try to go by Ron Engeland's description in Growing Great Garlic, counting brown tipped leaves from the top of the plant down. Then I have difficulty figuring that out, so I pull some up. I look to make sure it's differentiated (divided into cloves), but not yet shattered (separate cloves parting company, bulb opening out). And if it looks big, and it's about three weeks since we started harvesting the scapes, and plenty of leaves are drying up already, then that's it. Not exactly scientific. I'd welcome other people's descriptions of their deciding factors.
> Do you remove the mulch in the spring, or let it stay on?
We leave the mulch on until we start harvesting scapes, then do a good clean-up - weed and remove mulch. And we don't water after that, so it doesn't go mouldy.
Pam, Twin Oaks, Louisa, Virginia